Saturday, January 29, 2022

Scout Mission on Helos

Over the holidays, I played a test game of Operation Last Train, a free game of sci-fi, bug-splatting mayhem. I tried it with individually-based, 10mm figures, but decided to convert it to a 3mm game. Last weekend I played a test game with the smaller minis.

The Set Up
The figures came from PicoArmor. I'm using their "xenomorphs" as bugs, and heavy infantry as the human forces.

Infantry are organized as heavy (2 strips per base) or light (1 strip). Heavies have better armor but lights move further.

I am creating a boxed set that will have everything I need in one place.


The Mission
My civilians are not complete, but I wanted to take my troops out for a test run. I decided to do a simple scouting mission. The human forces must move across the battlefield and exit from the far end.

I rolled randomly to determine the force composition and came up with 1 heavy and 2 light infantry squads.

After Action Report
Command sends a platoon of infantry to scout out Sector Alpha. The platoon is comprised of 2 squads of light infantry (1st and 2nd squads) and one heavy (3rd squad)

The mission has barely begun and the bugs are already swarming. 1st Squad (left) destroys a swarm.

However, a swarm overruns the heavy infantry.

1st Squad enacts revenge, wiping out two swarms. 2nd Squad advances to a hilltop.

More swarms emerge, forcing the platoon back.

Under heavy pressure, the platoon calls the dropship for extraction. 1st Squad makes it aboard. 2nd Squad is beset. The dropships turret makes short work of one swarm.

At the last moment, 2nd Squad clambers aboard and the dropship takes off.

It's been a rough day for the Corps.

Game Notes
Generally, I am using a tweaked version of Micro Battle. 
  • Activation, movement, and combat rules use my current MB rules
  • Damage is more like Operation Last Train. A unit that gets hit is either destroyed or disordered (akin to knocked down in OLT). Disordered units cannot do anything until spending an activation to restore order. This makes the game very bloody, yet quick
Another feature based on OLT is that destroyed bugs can respawn on a 5-6. I will then roll to determine where they respawn. Sometimes, this can occur very close to a human squad. Surprise!

Anyway, I've been enjoying OLT.

4 comments:

  1. Another nice little battle there Kevin.
    How many swarms do you need? Obviously you can “recycle” any swarm losses, but is there a maximum? Or would the Corps just risk being overwhelmed?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. For this battle I had about 6 swarms so that was the max . I have about 10 swarms total so I can increase the max if the Corps fields more squads.

    As you mentioned, I recycle eliminated squads. This gives an interesting fog of war. For example, in this scenario the Corps cleared the board at one point but 4 swarms spawned the very next turn. I randomly determined where they respawned and they ended up almost on top of the squads. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose the dropship support will help tip the balance in favour of the Corps.
    A campaign of “linked battles/scenarios” would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete