Saturday, May 4, 2024

Five Klicks Campaign

As I mentioned last time, I've taken an interest in the campaign system found in Nordic Weasel's Five Klicks from the Zone (5K).

The Setting
In 5K, your party has a home base, a settlement, that it tries to improve. You do that by sending the party into the wasteland, hunting for salvage.*

My party's home will be a settlement named Emberville.

The Party
In 5K, you start with a party of 8 adventurers. That seems like a bit much for me to juggle, so I decided to cut the party in half. I'll do the same with enemies when the time comes.

I proceeded to use the 5K rules to stat out the party members. Here they are:
  • Ash, a merchant (34031) with survival and speech skills. Armed with a civilian carbine.
  • Jazz, a scavenger (34052) with the leader skill. Armed with a civilian carbine.
  • Rock, a hunter (26032) with the survival skill. Armed with a military rifle and scout armor.
  • Spike, a soldier (34332) with the leader skill. Armed with a military rifle and scout armor.
The numbers represent the character's stats - Initiative, Speed, Combat Skill, Toughness, and Nerve.

They're now ready to venture into the wasteland!

Created with Gencraft
Ash, Rock, Jazz, and Spike

* A Note on Morality
For most RPG or RPG-style wargames, I am not fond of acquisition as a motive. It feels so mercenary. I generally prefer my heroes to fight for a greater cause - defeat the dark lord, preserve law and order, stop an invasion - that sort of thing. That's why I never really got into 5K's sister game, Five Parsecs from Home. But for post-apocalyptic, acquisition seems to be a greater cause. It is necessary to rebuild civilization. So I'm going to stick with it for this campaign.

1 comment: