Saturday, January 19, 2013

Some Great Reading

My goal with this blog is to post twice a week (once on the weekend and once during the week). I have been remiss from posting, or even playing games, because I found some awesome reading for my Nook. While poking around for stuff on war games, I discovered that a number of books written by Donald Featherstone have been reprinted and are now available.

Featherstone is generally considered the father of modern miniature wargaming. In 1962, he published a book called War Games (the recently republished edition is shown below)


This work inspired a generation of wargamers and helped the hobby grow. I never had a chance to read it before now (it was out of print for many a year) but my father had a copy of another Featherstone book, War Game Campaigns. The pictures of ranks upon ranks of little soldiers doing battle, along with the vivid descriptions of their exploits, filled me with a desire to build up my own armies. Without Featherstone, I may never have started in this hobby.

Fortunately, many of these tomes of the early days of the hobby are now back in print, thanks to the efforts of John Curry's History of Wargaming Project. I downloaded a boatload of these books to my Nook last week and have been devouring them ever since. If you have any interest in wargaming, I highly recommend checking out some of these classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment