Saturday, December 3, 2022

Counter Attack

As I progress with my homebrew aerial combat rules, I find myself wanting to upgrade my planes.

Currently, I'm using a mix of Tumbling Dice 1/600 and Irregular 2mm planes.

I went with these because they were small, allowing maneuvers on a small board.

But with abstract, relative maneuvering, I don't need as much space. I can probably use a larger scale. I have a couple 1/300 (I think) scratch built WW1 planes.

But I only have these 2. I would have to build more to have enough for missions.

I could follow my original intention, and use sci-fi minis, like my scratch built rockets, to replicate aerial combat. I'm not just feeling space.

So we come to my latest craze - counters. I'm looking at getting airplane counters that I can use for my games.

I found some good jet age counters. They have Korea, Vietnam, and Cold War planes.

But I'm not feeling jets either. When I think of playing air combat, I hear the whirr of props in my head. I want something pre-jet.

I'm looking for some WW2 counters. I thought about ordering a copy of the 1993 Avalon Hill game Mustangs and scavenging the counters from it. But I find the counters a bit busy.

I'm still looking for good WW2 counters, but in the interim I went with these.


The counters come from TSR's 1983 board game, Dawn Patrol, from ebay. I recently picked up a copy from ebay. The rules are not particularly good, but the counters will work. I just wish they had a better background.

2 comments:

  1. I must admit to a strong preference for miniatures - otherwise we’re really just boardgamers. 😉
    However, sometimes you have to go with what’s available, as distinct from what you’d really like. Could you maybe scan images and then edit on the PC before printing off your own counters?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind being a boardgamer. That's how I got started. And I find it more and more appealing.
      I thought about scanning images from Down in Flames to make counters. I really like the imagi-nations approach, however, and it is harder to do with counters.

      Delete