Thursday, December 8, 2022

Protecting Pearl

I decided to run some dogfights in commemoration of the attack on Pearl Harbor. I set up a series of linked scenarios.

I don't have miniatures for the appropriate planes so I used a virtual tabletop with counters from Junior General's Pearl Harbor scenario.

The Dawn's Early Light
Lt. William Crowe is up early. He slept poorly, kept up my a nagging feeling of impending disaster.

The name is an homage to the Heroes of the Pacific video game.

Zero Hour
As he rummages around in the hangers, inspecting his P-40 Warhawk, the air raid alert sounds.

In moments, he is in the air. A swarm of Zeroes are heading toward the airfield. Crowe realizes he needs to hold them off to let his fellow aviators get into the air.

Crowe tangles with 2 Zeroes. He gets one in his crosshairs. One down.

The second Zero gets him in his sights. Bullets whizz by, rattling Crowe but doing no damage.

The Zero continues to circle, taking ineffective shots at Crowe. But this gives the other aviators time!

Helps arrives. It is Crowe's buddy, Rex Raven. They manage to catch a Zero in the crossfire. It goes down.

Unfortunately, other Zeroes get through and damage Hickam Field. But thanks to Crowe and Raven the damage is not as bad as it could have been.

I'm running the scenarios as little snapshots rather than a full-blown simulation. However, I will determine the success of the Japanese attack on the results of the snapshots. So far, so good for the Americans. This scenario is a win.

I planned to finish the scenarios on Pearl Harbor Day but did not get around to it. I decided to post the first scenario. Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment