Saturday, December 31, 2022

2022 in Review

Another year, another review. Let's take a look back at my gaming for the year.
 
2022's Trends
I began the year on a tear, with lots of projects.
Rescue attempt on Helos

In February, I got distracted by a new project - 1683 Battle of Vienna. After picking up The Silver Bayonet, this project morphed into a horror campaign set in 1666, with squad level games using my 3mm figures.

Fahnrich Hans Neimand leads a party against a troll

I then went on a baseball kick. I started a league of 1920s teams, but never completed the season.

Then I eschewed miniatures and started working up counters for generic armies,


ancient navies,


and even chariots.


Then I discovered Battles of Medieval Britain. I created counters for the game and played quite a few scenarios.

Disaster at Lewes, from BMB

Inspired by the 3 x 3 Portable Wargame phenomena, I experimented with a fast play version of MicroBattle. Here I use this version to play out part of the 1683 Battle of Vienna.


Then I went on an airplane kick. I developed rules for bombing runs, akin to B-17 Queen of the Skies. Then I created fast play dogfight rules inspired by THW's Aces Up and others.

Quick play dogfight - intercept the bombers

I finished the year by developing a new version of MicroQuest, my rules for fantasy adventures.

2022 Prognostication Review
Let's look back at my predictions for 2022 and see how I did.
  • Return to 3mm - I expected to abandon my 10mm skirmish projects and focus on 3mm. Well, I did abandon 10mm, but I also abandoned 3mm. Instead, I've been playing around with counters. So I got this wrong.
  • Genre-specific miniatures - I planned to abandon my generic armies and create armies specific to the genre or period. My first project was for Byzantine-Persian wars. This never got off the ground. Again, wrong.
  • The Purge - I considered getting rid of my unused 10mm miniatures, but I never got around to it. Also wrong.
So I went 0 for 3 this year. Ah, the joys of GADD (Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder)

6 comments:

  1. Yes, but at least you did “something” and that’s better than just dithering indecisively. Sometimes you need to rule out what you don’t want to narrow down the options.
    I have started numerous projects this last 12 months, but very few completed entirely. It is, however, some progress and I’m hoping that when I finally retire I can ramp up the progress and “get in more gaming”.
    All the best for ‘23.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned to just go with the flow. But I find it amusing how often my "plans" go awry

      Delete
  2. 0 for 3 in predictions but it looks like you had a fair number of enjoyable games! I've only recently found your blog so I have a lot of catching up to do. Your Age of Heroes posts inspired me to use them for my holiday-themed game. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my blog. Hope you find it enjoyable

      Delete
  3. Hello Kevin,

    It may have been 0 for 3 but you seem to have had lots of fun and interesting times due to the distractions :-)

    ReplyDelete