Saturday, April 20, 2013

Impressions


As I have previously noted, I picked up a few different sets of medieval war game rules. I have read through them all and wanted to share my impressions.

What am I looking for? I want a set of rules to allow me to play fantasy skirmishes where I can create stats for figures/units (rather than having to depend on stats published in expensive books). Although most rules allow for free movement, I plan to use a square grid, so the game (esp. movement) needs to be convertible. I hoped to get my wife to play with me, but now that we tried one game of FUBAR I think I'll be going solo. To keep interest up, I would like to play a campaign, so inclusion of campaign rules is a bonus.

I am going to create a separate post for each set. In a nutshell, however, I will probably stick with FUBAR, although I may modify it a bit based on ideas from the other sets. I love the campaign system in Dux Britanniarum and plan to run it based on a medieval Imagi-nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment